Monday, 8 February 2010

Good eats

Delicious food... how much I love it. A little bit too much at times... but continuing with the review of some of the places I've visited recently in Seattle.

Dahlia Lounge

Went there for dinner on Thursday for a 'romantic dinner' with Cassandra (amusing how the fanciest places I go are with her, who needs real dates?). A truly fancy place in my opinion. It was an older crowd, and most people there were even dressed nicely. This is a very odd occurrence for Seattle. So a great place for a night out. Rather pricey, but you know what you are getting into when you go to a location with 'lounge' in the title. We ended up feasting upon their amazing collection of seafood, but there are plenty of carnivore and vegetarian options available. Got the seafood appetizer sampler - a success. Out of the six different small dishes, only one was not perfect as it was too far on the side of 'fishy', but was easily fixed by squeezing all of the provided lemon on it. Delightful. The smoked salmon was the real success. For the main dish I got the salmon which was so moist and juicy it was melting in my mouth. With some mashed potatoes and cauliflower on the side... perfect. Cassandra got the ever amazing tuna... ahhh. Fish love. The waiter also accidentally brought her dish with avocados even though she said she was allergic to them (she is not, but hates them), so we got free dessert! Double plus! Overall an expensive dinner out, but well worth it for a once in a while outing. Next time I will dress up. =)

Pasta Freska
Probably my favorite restaurant in Seattle so far. So many of the things I love: not making decisions, amazing food, friendly chef, and long meals. Amazing. It is a small place which from the outside seems like... nothing really. But it is amazing. The chef comes up to you and asks what you eat and don't eat. I eat everything... so simple. But can specify allergies, or what you don't like. Then... thats it! He just brings you food. About seven different dishes. All amazing. And different people at the same table get different meals. Also a wonderful homey atmosphere.

Tango
This is a tapas place by my apartment. I went here at the end of the summer. One thing sold it for me: El Diablo. The most amazingly decadent desert ever. Chocolate, covered in caramel and chili with marshmallow and nuts on the side. Decadent. First time I had it, I did not need any more food for almost 24 hours. Sadly... upon return for the actual meal I found that the rest of the dishes are rather overpriced and not that magnificent. So advice: go there for happy hour and get some glorious Sangria and El Diablo. Well worth it. Skip the dinner.

Metropolitan Grill
Steak. Love it. As I have recently learned.... harder than I thought to cook property. The Met Grill is expensive. Very expensive. Not somewhere I would go except for the amazing 'Have dinner on us' promotion. Truly an amazing steakhouse. Only regret was that the waiter talked me into getting a 'medium' steak instead of 'medium rare'. I prefer a little more moist. Very recommended... but preferably during some sort of price promotion.

Cafe Flora

After several meals in a row of meat, asked my teammates where they like to go for Vegetarian food. As noted by my reviews above.. I love meat. So it is amazing to find such amazing flavors in vegetarian food. The place itself is incredibly cozy-life a cafe, but with beautiful paintings all over the place, and greenery. =) For appetizer we got Coconut tofu with chili sauce. You wrap the tofu in lettuce and then pour chili sauce over the creation. Melts my heart. For main dish I got tacos as pictured above. I had never had vegetarian tacos before and it was love. The feta cheese was an especially delightful surprise. The cherry on the top was a chocolate lava cake which was brought out by sweet pomegranate sauce. Mmmmm. Would 100% recommend this place to everyone. AND they have espresso machines!

PS - This is a showcase over time - I am not an extravagant spender for food. Well... sometimes. Food is my weakness.

2 comments: