Thursday, 4 March 2010

Trip or vacation?

I just returned last night from a 5 day trip to Hawaii. First time to Hawaii (State #42!).

One question that I have come across a lot at work and etc is 'what did you do there?'. When I start listing, or mention the fact that we drove over 900 miles during the time (the Big Island of Hawaii is huge, so don't stare at me), they are confused. "But this is vacation? What about rest?"

Ryan posted his status after returning last night as "Exhausted. The different between coming back from a trip rather than a vacation." and I felt like that really grasped it. (also major props to him for driving)

I prefer to go on trips... not restful vacations. My need to get away from it all is to travel, not to sit and relax. I am a naturally restless person and grow itchy if I am not always moving. Legs twitching and everything. So doing lots of things keeps me going. The idea of going to some far off place in order to relax.... doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you pay all that money to go somewhere else to do nothing? Or go somewhere else and shop in the same stores you have at home, eat the same food. Got to get out of that box!

That being said, I am looking forward to coming home today and relaxing. =) But as for this weekend...? Already itching to go for a hike, some new restaurants, see friends? So many options! When is the next trip? Where? Always want to have some fun adventure to look forward to.

Do you prefer a real trip or a relaxing vacation?

1 comment:

  1. Hawaii was very similar for me and A. We came back physically exhausted but mentally refreshed. In that way, I'd say it was relaxing. I suspect your vacation (or trip or whatever) was the same.

    ReplyDelete