Thursday, 28 May 2009

Birds and birds and more birds! Oh my!


Wanting to make sure to see some of New Zealand's fine wildlife, I decided today to go on a day trip to Tiritiri Matangi, a wildlife refuge island about an hour and a half ferry from Auckland. It only has one ferry go to it per day, and not a large one even, so lots of time with just self and the forest.

I originally signed up for the guided tour for the first 1.5 hours there, but after about 5 minutes of listening to the guide (who was very good actually!) talk, I realized that the best part of this place was just to go in the woods and walk around by myself.

And right I was -- the feeling of only hearing the sounds of the birds chirping all around me, and the distant sound of the waves... magnificent.

Made me sad for my camera though - I know it is an amazing point and shoot, but at a place like that you really do need a better one. The birds move so fast and it is impossible to catch them so close to you (unless you have great patience to stay still for a long long time... which I do not). The best option is when they are a ways away, and even my 10x zoom does not do enough there.

But the island was amazing. Not just the birds, but also the cliffs and the sky and just... nature. It was wonderful just wandering around seeing where my feet would take me. Maybe a bit too wonderful because it is only 7:30pm again and I am again too tired to do anything. Oh well, I will adjust eventually.

Oh and just for the record, I am not being completely anti-social during the trip. Talking to lots and lots of strangers. =) I should take pictures with people really, or else it seems like I am just in my own bubble. But yes, I am not anti-social as the pictures and descriptions seem to look like.


I love this photo! I had set my camera on self-timer to get a picture by the cliffs, and the bird managed to fly into the shot. Shows just how many birds there are on that island.

No comments:

Post a Comment