Before starting the new chapter of 2010 (is it the new decade or not... I could never figure out when it truthfully starts....) it seems best to recap the amazing year that wa 2009. Truthfully an amazing year. =)
NYE
It all started off in Boston. I was there with APO for our National Convention. I got a car-full of people from Maryland to stick around to ring in the new year in there. Unfortunately (or fortunately...) there was a blizzard, and even the fireworks in the city were cancelled. No fear! Had a great night with several thousand other APO brothers celebrating. At midnight we all went down to the lobby and sang our toast song. Amazing. =) New years day was less fun.... driving back from Boston to MD being the only driver in the car. But hey, awesome friends and music make it all better.
Winter Break - Skiing in Switzerland
From there I enjoyed the wonders of the last of my amazing winter break. Month long breaks in college.... so amazing. =) Main event was going skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland. Week and a half trip with my parents. Such an amazing resort.... you can even ski into Italy! (just be careful to get back before the lifts close...). Also got to visit Liechtenstein and see some more of Germany. Kind of spoiled me as far as ski holidays go. =)
Last semester begins!
So begins the last semester of college. I decided that this semester would be enjoyed to the fullest. Had three days of classes a week, and dropped my physics minor on the first day of class. Taking 'Massage Therapy' and 'Human Sexuality' was much more interesting than 'Thermodynamics'. Sorry. =)
Virgin Islands
Did get to take one last excursion to St.Johns, Virgin Islands for a weekend. Parents were there for a week and I skipped a bit of class to visit. Magnificent beauty - clear blue seas, snorkeling right from the house... just paradise. I'd never gone to a Carribean island before and have been craving returning since then.
Adventures last semester
The last semester was a whirlwind. So many things happening! Spent a lot of it in various adventures with APO, my fraternity. Above is the spring retreat.
We were also lucky enough to get some snow in MD in February-snow days are amazing. Sledding around campus was even more amazing.
And what last spring in DC would be complete without a visit to the cherry blossoms? Such a DC event. So many more things happened in the spring like ski trip to PA, countless visits to DC, random hiking trips, repainting the kitchen, etc. But a small look at them. =) Overall, an amazing semester to finish it all off.
Graduation
And then... graduation! Five years (heh, well... yes) and finally there. It is over. Amazing memories, amazing times. Now on to the next chapter. =)
Summer trip: New Zealand/Australia
With the semester over, I really wanted to take the summer off to travel. Unfortunately (well maybe fortunately), I couldn't find anyone to travel with me. So eventually I just said 'screw it all' and went on a 5.5 week trip to New Zealand/Australia by myself. Amazing decision. It was hard to adjust to traveling alone (I am a very social person) at first, but then meeting people was so easy and it was a blast. Non-stop moving. Above is be standing above one of the volcano craters around Auckland.
New Zealand really won my heart. Especially the south island. This is one of the mountains right next to Queenstown. Almost got to the top of it... not quite though. Somewhere in there, about halfway up the above slope, my sense of rationality kicked in.
From there, it was over to Australia. Starting off in Sydney-one of my favorite cities now. It is like London.... except warm and a beach town. Amazing?
The wildlife in Australia is really something... Kangaroos are really everywhere. Wombats, koalas, camels, birds, emus.... =)
Took a bit of an expensive trip into the middle of the country to see Uluru. It is really a different world from the coast that most people see. The red centre is the heart of Australia. Then I went over to the coast and got my scuba diving certification in Cairns. The tropics were an amazing way to finish off the trip (aka, in the warmth, as I seemed to miss summer...)
July at home
And now... a moment to relax while exploring and saying farewell to MD. That month really made me wish I could just not work forever and explore everything. Made a huge list of things to do and see in MD while I was there, but only got a little done. Still great. Went to DC a bunch, kayaking, finally down to Charlotsville, general friends exploration, packing, Busch Gardens and much more. =)
Thanks here to some of the amazing folk I spent the month with. =) Missing you.
Alaska
Then to a completely different adventure-two and a half week trip with my parents to Alaska. Once again missing the concept of summer this year, but well worth it. The wildlife of Alaska is what really sold me. Well... and the mountains everywhere.
What can beat just walking around a glacier? (I also went ice climbing... that is a fair bit harder though...). =) Really want to return to Alaska - see some of the southern islands, and get up to the Arctic Sea (I know... it is not that exciting when you get there, but I want to do it... we only got up to the Arctic Circle while I was there).
Moving to Seattle
And then the real adventure begins. On a beautiful August morning flew out with the sunrise from DC into Seattle. It welcomed me with open arms. My new home. =) All the fears of moving and not knowing anyone and not having things to do really propelled me to be insanely proactive in all of the above areas. I explore every weekend. Made friends anywhere and everywhere people talk to me. =) As a result... this place feels like home. May the adventures and the amazing friends continue.
Adventures in Seattle
One of the best things about Seattle is the hiking. Just by the city there are so many amazing mountains. 45 min and you're on a great hike. Two and some hours and your mind is blown away. This is Mt.Baker in September.... probably on of my favorite hikes ever. Can't wait until next summer when I can get up into the high mountains again.
Then of course with the snow comes to skiing. =) Have only gone once so far but more adventures will come. Still... the mountains right by the water is really the selling point for me for this city. Just a couple of the adventures-there were many more hikes, a trip down to Portland, a weekend in Vancouver, mushroom picking, concerts, food exploration, farmers markets... etc.
And so-here is to the main thing that has made Seattle a home. The great people I've met. Here's to some of them (well the ones that came out to my b-day). =) And to the rest.
San Francisco visits
Being out west means taking trips down the coast is something that can be done without taking vacation time. =) Took advantage of that twice to see some friends and family down there. Going there really makes me realize how small Seattle is. San Francisco has the most amazing neighborhoods, pretty awesome weather, and a neverending pool of things to explore.
Visiting MD
And then... Christmas has come. Finally, after four months absence, a visit back home to MD. Being away is not so painful in this age of technology-I feel so much more connected to everyone as I can talk to them on phone, online, video chat... it is all there. =) But still great to see home, open presents and catch the remains of the great 2009 east coast blizzard. =)
So recap? An amazing year. As I measure things by travel often the count comes out to two new states, three new countries, and nine countries total. Pretty good I think. =)
Now here's to 2010! I'm excited, are you?























No comments:
Post a Comment