Wednesday, 18 February 2009

DC Restaurant Week

This week was my favorite week in DC food. DC Restaurant week. A week where all those uber-expensive restaurants have set course menus. It is only worth it if you go to the most expensive ones (at least 70$ a meal) where now they are half price. Last August I went three times... and this year was no different.

Bezu, Potomac - Fusion
http://www.bezurestaurant.com/
The first place was Bezus, where I went on Monday with Poly, located in the middle of 'Mansionville' in Potomac on River Road. Its in the middle of a strip mall, and really does not fit in, but is quite fancy when you walk in. Very nice nights of bamboo leaves/etc. The menu was limited -- one of two dishes for each of the courses. For appetizer we both got Vietnamese beef salad. That was my favorite dish. The I had a shrimp dish which was wonderful -- moist shrimp and went very well with the rice. For dessert I had a banana um... roll? It was amazing. And poly got bread pudding which was the most amazing bread pudding I ever had.
Overall: Loved the food, but rather out of the way and not too cozy of a restaurant.


Taberna del Alberdero
http://www.alabardero.com/
First I am embarrassed to admit that I thought this was an Italian restaurant for the longest time... but it is indeed Spanish. Then I am excited to say they have a one and only one other branch which is in... Seattle. =)
This was my favorite of the three restaurants. The atmosphere was wonderful--it is a bustling place with amazing pictures and decorations on the walls. We at at 9pm and the place was still packed and we had to wait.
On a sad note, I was rather sick to the stomach that evening, and I could not eat a lot of the food. The waiters were concerned that I was not finishing everything and I felt like they were afraid of me being a critic as I was nibbling on everything and making inquisitive faces. Too bad I didn't have a notebook with me to look even more conspicuous.
Their RW menu was great -- at least 4 choices for each course. I had a quail soup for appetizer -- delicious and warming. Then mahimahi fish for main course which positively melted in my mouth. The only dissapointing thing was the flan I had for dessert -- it was a little too nutty for my taste... but then I have ordered flan in a rediculous amount of places as it is my favorite dessert.
Overall: Amazing. Go there. Its wonderful. =)

Sam and Harry's
http://www.samandharrys.com/
Last restaurant was Sam and Harry's steak house. I had apparently gone there two years ago, but did not realize this until a couple of hours before getting to the restaurant. It is a very classy steak house. Very much enjoyed the atmosphere and the waiters. Also was surprised that they have a separate 45$ set course menu that adds on some sauces on to the main course meat. In some ways this gives more variety, in others I feel like it cheapens the regular set course menu. I had french onion soup for appetizer, which was delicious, and especially great with the constant supply of warm bread. The main course was a small fillet minion. It was good, very tender on the inside, but not perfect. The outside was a little dry. The dessert was a bread pudding, and there was no choice.
Overall, I liked the steakhouse, but it is not a place I would return... again. I think the steak left something to be desired, and their restaurant week menu was a tad snobby.

Now to cook in for a very long time to make up for this week of extravagance. =)

2 comments:

  1. I looooove Restaurant Week -- out of the three you mentioned, I've only been to Sam and Harry's and it's amaaazing. Went there with the family for my birthday a few years ago.

    Added you to my blogroll. Cheers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reviews! My husband's parents live in Woodbridge, VA (2 hours north of us), so we're up in the D.C. area fairly often. While we don't really have tons of money to spend, we really appreciate good food. We'll have to try at least the first two sometime!

    ReplyDelete