Saturday, 28 March 2009

Kite Festival 2009 in the rain

As I will be moving away from DC soon, I am trying to see as much as possible of traditional DC festivities. A new addition this year to my events is the Kite Festival. Kite Festival takes place every years on the mall at the beginning of the Cherry Blossom Festival.

This year I was not sure it would happen. It was rainy and foggy. Not optimal weather. Little wind. But we made it out there and there were kites! All shapes and sizes--homemade, bought. All sorts of kites. Persevering the weather! We did not stay for the whole day as well... it is cold. Went for a walk around the tidal basin for the beginning of the blossom season.

First look at the Cherry Blossoms. They were rather droopy though. Hopefully they will all bloom and be beautiful for the festival next weekend.

This was my favorite kite. NASA pride!


The last act in the festival was the kite 'faceoff'. Elimination. Who will survive. Kits attach each other -- last one that stays up wins. The best strategy proved to be the one of avoiding the battle ground until everyone is out and then sneaking in and winning. Cheep.

The 'Kite Doctor' was busy at work the whole time.

To defrost after the day we went to Teaism. Amazing tea house. Would recommend.

All-women drumming performance at the festival. Very fun.

2 comments:

  1. Go NASA pride!

    Seems like a really fun time. My husband and I are thinking about driving up for the cherry blossom festival if things aren't too busy around here.

    Speaking of amazing tea houses, let me know if you're ever in Charlottesville...the Twisted Branch Tea Bazaar on the downtown pedestrian mall is the best tea house I've ever been to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It will be really busy in DC though -- just warning you the num of ppl this year at festival will be even more than usual. If you want more low key go Sunday or for the fireworks next weekend. :)

    I can't believe I still haven't been to Charlotesville -- on of my closest friends went to UVA for undergrad and I still never got down there. =P I hear you guys have awesome concerts!

    ReplyDelete