Spa World USA
I have never been to a 'Spa' in America before. This is an expensive thing to do and well... I'm generally only extravagant in travels, and food. :) So spa and massages has never been on my to-do list (apart from that massaging course I am taking this semester... which is part of my schoolwork).
So Saturday when I get home my parents announce that they are going to a spa the following day and that I should join them. Since its them inviting me (and paying) I am immediately in.
Let me take a moment to explain the 'banya' in Russia. Since not everyone had baths (or more like nobody) or hot water, people went to communal baths, banyas, in order to wash up and relax. A banya involves many hot tubs of various sizes and temperatures, and saunas. Everyone is naked (they were generally male and female separate days) and after sitting in the banya you would whip each other with birch tree branches. That hits out the fat and sweat and help you even more. And then you jump in cold water.
Our neighbors at our dacha (Russian summer home) had a sauna in their backyard, homemade, and we spent a huge amount of time there. Fond memories.
So this type of thing is not so commonplace in America. Americans are more about hygene, and less about nakedness. Saunas are present and used mainly at skiing resorts. Swim suits are always worn. It actually deteriorates your swim suit very quickly to be subjected to that hot of water.
So anyways, some Russian friends told us a couple of weeks ago that they found a place that is like a real Russian banya that was operated by Koreans who have a similar idea of relaxation. It is called 'Spa World' and is located in Northern Virginia. For 35$ you have access to the facilities (which are open 24/7) for twenty-four hours. The facilities include about 7 different saunas, many many pools with various jets, fitness room, sleeping room, restaurant (well you pay for that, but its not expensive and includes bubble tea), and more. Massages are not expensive either.
The place is mainly full of Korean people. Those that are not Korean are Russian, and the rest are friends of the two nationalities.
I know many people pay hundreds of dollars for a day at the spa, which is generally defined as massages and facials and such. I think this is an amazing deal though. Assuming you can do one thing: be naked and see lots of naked people (of the same sex).
I find that being naked in such a setting is great. Liberating. Nobody cares. People of all shapes, ages, fitness levels, whatever. Everyone is just there. You are only naked for the area that is in the baths. Then you put on a robe that they give you and you can go with the sauna, exercise rooms, and restaurant with your male cronies.
We spent 5 hours there. I would have stayed longer. And I am that person that likes to move around a lot. This is saying a lot. I felt amazing afterward. Slept like a baby. This is a place I recommend to everyone, and if you are comfortable with being naked around me (and others) I would love to go with you.
Sounds like a Korean jimjilbang -- awesome!
ReplyDelete