Saturday, 1 August 2009

Where the sun doesn't set

Ever since I went to St.Petersburg I have wanted to see the white nights again. Where the sun barely sets at all, and most of the night is spent in a beautiful state of dusk. The summer equinox has already passed more than a month ago, but the white nights are still blooming here in Alaska. It is odd to see most stores closed at 11pm when the sun is barely setting. And also the odd feeling of dozing out of sleep in the morning around 7am and feeling like it is noon from the way the sun shines.

Another amazing thing about Alaska is the amount of mountains. It is incredible that for hours-HOURS, flying from St.Paul to Anchorage you are flying over snow capped mountains. Non-stop. I was amazed enough flying over the south island of New Zealand where the mountains cover the west coast, but this is something more. It really does make sense why there are so few roads into northern Canada and how one has to take such a go-around route in order to get from Vancouver into Alaska.

Sadly I will not see much of Anchorage as we will be driving out to Seward today, but it rests beautifully in on the edge of the mountains. Hopefully the weather holds and I am extremely excited to see what Alaska has to offer. Internet will be of an unknown status until in Fairbanks on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment