Thursday, 11 August 2011

Hiking at Rainier and St.Helens

7/23/2011 Bee + Rainier

This has got to be one of my favorite photos. I love the flower, bee and Rainier combination. The essence of summer. The photo was taken on the Goat Mountain trail that is between St.Helens and Rainier. We spent the weekend camping in Iron Creek Campground and exploring the area. The weather was fantastic the entire time, and the wildflowers were in full bloom. I did not count how many there were on this hike, but on a hike to St.Helens last weekend I counted 28 .

7/24/2011 Canyon before Rainier

The following day we actually went up to Paradise to do some hiking (almost snowshoeing, does it count as snowshoeing if you're not wearing snowshoes but are slopping through super deep snow?). On the way we drove past this amazing canyon. I had not noticed it during our previous drives and loved how it contrasts with the whiteness of the mountain. The deep crevasse compared to the openness of the rest of the landscape.

8/6/2011 St.Helens and desolate landscape

This was at the start of a hike to Harry's Ridge at St.Helens. Unfortunately this was the only time that the top of St.Helens decided to come out of the clouds. Still, the weather was only partly cloudy, the wild flowers were in full bloom and the scenery was magnificent. I love the geography/geology of St.Helens. Seeing the trees that are left over from when it blew up, and the desolate landscape is absolutely mind blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment