Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Oyster Dome

3/20/2011 Oyster Dome

I went up Oyster Dome about a year ago, but I did not go all the way on top of the dome and I did not get to go into the bat caves. This meant that on a balmy Sunday morning... it was time to return.

The hike is not very long, but has some steep parts to it. Additionally, it has been rainy lately so it was extremely muddy. Some of the dogs on the trail looked positively terrifying.

The dome itself is very steep - I was getting a little bit of vertigo standing close to it. It is a great place to rest at the top of the hike (and where the photo was taken) and plenty of spots along the wall to get a bit of privacy. Then a great view into the Puget Sound. It was a bit cloudy so there was not as much of a view of the Olympics, but it was still enjoyable. Wonder if you can see Canada from there?

At the bottom of the dome is a great climbing spot as well as some 'bat caves'. I'd wanted to go into them this time, even bringing headlamps. Sadly as soon as I tried to go into one of them I realized I was not comfortable in there without a helmet... which was forgotten. :( Safety first? It was fun just scrambling on the rocks over the caves.

Another awesome part about it is that there is an oyster shack right at the bottom of the hike and I got to get half a dozen oysters to finish off the hike. Delicious. :)

1 comment:

  1. When I had just read the title, I thought it was about food. Lo and behold, food shows up at the end of your post anyway :P. There's a series of vids on YouTube about a drunk guy on a lawnmower getting pulled over. On one of them he states he's just "goin down to the oyster shack" in the most hillbilly accent possible. Every time I hear/see "oyster shack" now I think of that dude. Quite a laugh ^_^

    ReplyDelete