Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Lake Serene - Bridal Veil Falls

4/2/2011 Bridal Veil Falls

Forget the rain - I love hiking. Hiking trip for Saturday was Lake Serene/Bridal Veil Falls. The hike is not steep until the falls, with an offshoot to the top of the falls, and then pretty much just stairs all the way up to the lake.

I'd done this hike before last January, and there was only a little snow at the top. It was cloudy so we didn't see the whole of Mt.Index above the lake, but still beautiful. This hike, though later in the year (a much colder year), was much snowier and wetter.

On this rainy day, the snow was also melting so all of the many, many creeks that crossed the trail were overflowing. Lots of stream crossings. Made me glad my hiking shoes are semi-waterproof. We didn't even get to the top falls because you pretty much had to walk through a waterfall to get there - I am okay with streams, but falling down a waterfall from slipping does not sound so fun. I think they were beautiful from the bottom (photo of the day).

About 1/4 of the way up the the stairs portion, the snow starts. At first just on the open areas of the trail, and then everywhere. It is packed so walkable without snowshoes if you're willing to fall through to your knee every once in a while.

About 1/4 mile from the lake the trees open out to look out on to Mt.Index and the valley. This was the exact time that the sun decided to grace us with its' presence. Perfect timing. Trees covered in snow, blue sky and sun. Perfect.

I believe this is a trip report of one of the folk we saw right about there that told us about the streams ahead. We turned around shortly after because we could hear avalanches and there was a lot of melting snow and streams. Safety first?

The way down was slippery but with digging in the heels and not walking on the slippery snow it was not so bad. More adventure started when the rain came... or more like large hail which turned to sleet as the elevation dropped. My the end of the hike I was soaked but accomplished.

Good thing I didn't read about all the avalanches until after hiking - Highway 2 was closed in parts two nights before (the road leading to the falls). And then more avalanches on Monday. Granted - this is higher up on the highway than the hike, but it is on similar elevation to the top of the hike. Lots of avalanche danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment