
I've raved and raved about Japonessa many times now. When I've checked their reviews though I see people referring to Umi Sake House as a similar place, with debates about which is better. I've been meaning to check it out for a long time but finally made it.
The selling point for this particular visit was that happy hour goes until 8pm at the bar at Umi and the bar area is larger so it is easier to get a spot (and it is a shorter walk from my place).
Thoughts: I think it might have won over Japonessa. Woah!
Several reasons. The main one would be the sauce. You can see it on the left in this photo. Most of the sushi has it. It is thick and kind of covers over the taste of the sushi. Umi has no such thing. It also has a much much better Seattle roll than Japonessa, which is one of my favorites. It also has yummier sushi (non-rolls). I rarely get non-rolls at Japonessa because I was not a huge fan the one time I got them. I also liked the service better - more friendly servers (real feeling friendly, rather than the fake that I often feel at Japonessa).
What does Japonessa still have? Super amazing Bad Boy roll. One of my favorites. Also the portion sizes are larger so thats always great for a good deal.
Also I should note that I've only been to both of these places for happy hour. I do not like spending an arm and a leg for sushi so $20 for two people at happy hour is very acceptable for me. :) I think Umi has a cheaper selection for non-happy-hour so I'd be more likely to check that out, but in general.. cheaper is better for me (especially when it does not compromise quality at all).
Will I stick to one over the other? Most likely not. I like both. But I think I'll be taking more trips to Umi. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment