Tuesday, 7 June 2011

First time thinking about frosting

6/2/2011 Pumpkin cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting

I've been eying the pumpkin cupcake with maple cream cheese frosting recipe on smittenkitchen for a while. I enjoy making pumpkin pie, and it seemed like the maple would go well with it.

But the main thing I was eying was the beautiful roses on the cupcakes. Why just make cupcakes and dab some frosting on them when you can make them beautiful. I should note that this was my second ever attempt at cupcakes - the first was the previous Sunday making hazelnut cupcakes, which I did not attempt to frost in any beautiful day (especially since they used whipped cream frosting which just doesn't style well).

So this was my big project. Line out the bag and all of the tips. Some parchment paper to practice on and bring it on!

I'd say my result was not too bad for a first. I started off trying for the roses, after a couple of practices. What I couldn't figure out was how to twist the cupcake, hold the bag and hold the tip all at the same time! I do not have three arms, and somehow everyone in the videos made it look so easy. Not so much. The rose cupcake is hidden in the back of this photo. I got better as I went along but decided to switch to some other tips instead of doing more roses.

My favorite frosting way is the lots of "dots" version that is in the front. It is super easy and looks super cute. I was not very good at the swirly thing because I have not mastered the art of not having any air bubbles in the bag and then accidentally having the line break. Whoops.

Anyways - this was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to trying more decorating. I doubt I'll be very good considering my complete lack of perfectionistic tendencies, but at least it will be fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment