
Wallace Falls is the hike I have been to the most in Seattle. Last Sunday was my third time there - pretty impressive considering how long I've been living in Seattle. This is a hike I like returning to. It is easily accessible in both summer and winter, and is enjoyable in both rainy and sunny weather. Perfect for the PNW area. Not a long hike (and the upper falls are not necessary), but it does have enough elevation gain to keep things interesting.
Unfortunately, most of Seattle was of the same opinion last Sunday. The parking lot was jammed with no chance of getting in without waiting an insane amount of time. We had to park a quarter of a mile or so from the start of the hike (and down a fairly large hill). I was terrified that the hike would be spent elbowing people out of the way. Surprisingly - people seemed to spread out fairly well and though I didn't get to experience the solitude that I so enjoy when being out in the woods, there was no mob-attacking-waterfall feeling.
I was trying to practice taking photos of waterfalls... naturally. Unfortunately I couldn't get the tripod to fit together in the morning so I had to leave that behind. Balancing on a railing on holding a camera makes waterfall photos a lot more difficult. I have not figured out the right set of settings for a good waterfall shots. I can get the shots exposed fairly well... but I cannot get them to have the beautiful running strands of water. This just means I need to go on more waterfall hikes. :)

This photo is actually from a year and a half. I really like how I captured the running creek on that trip. The water was even more impressive last weekend - the spring runoffs are in full swing (yes, you heard me... spring).
No comments:
Post a Comment