
Summer in Seattle means finally nice weather and lots of parades. One of them is the Solstice Parade - known by many as the 'Naked Bike Ride' (ps, if you put naked in the title of your flickr photo you'll apparently get an intense amount of views). Unfortunately, the past two years that I have gone... the weather has been less than stellar. This year - it was positively cold (as you can see from the spectators in the back) and I could see the goosebumps on some of the riders. But they kept going!
I love the intricacy with which people 'dress' for the parade - that is some awesome ideas and painting. No, that is not clothing they are wearing there - they just pain it good (though I think the woman in the middle has some clothes on).
After the bike ride - the parade continues in similar fashion - lots of insane floats and crazy costumes. By far the best parade I have ever been to. Love it. :)

The parade last weekend was much less interesting. It was part of Pride Week in Seattle. I thought it would be of the similar plan as the Solstice Parade - freaking crazy. No... not really.
There were fun floats - like this amazing Flying spaghetti Monster. I got to be touched by his noodely appendage. :P
Most other groups were just various companies in the area marching down with their support. That is all great and stuff... but not very interesting to watch. BECU, Alaska Airlines, Starbucks, Orbitz, Amazon, Microsoft... etc. When will it end...? After two hours of watching I bailed on the parade. It is fun and I love the energy but if I am going next year I'll march with the Amazon float and then go home - no need to watch the whole of the parade.

Maybe if I march I could even be one of the box dudes? Pretty awesome indeed. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment