Wednesday, 3 June 2009

Arrowtown

Wanting to cover as much ground as possible, today was a day trip to Arrowtown, a small ex-gold mining town about 35 minutes away from Queenstown. The morning was extremely cold--spent about an hour and a half in two different coffee shops drinking some tea and trying to regain feeling to my limbs.

But then when I finally got the courage to brave the outdoors (with 3 layers and hat, gloves, scarf, and two socks), it was well worth it.

Arrowtown is not very large, it only has one 'main street'. A river running by where you can go with a gold-finding stick and generally find a tiny bit of gold still. It was a big mining town before. To picture the river the best, I would refer to the Fellowship of the Ring scene where Arwen is taking Frodo on her horse and crosses the river with the Nazgul chasing her. Yup-that be the river in Arrowtown. Got to love the LOTR scenery.

The morning was rather cloudy, but to warm up I went ahead and climbed the hill above the town. Sadly the clouds only started to come off when I was coming down. But I had a lovely walk around the river.

Met a very nice gentleman who works on a bus taking people to the ski mountains. He was pointing out the ski mountains to me. They just opened the slopes up at the very top for training for those who work there, but not the lifts, so some crazy people (he said about 50 when he was there) were walking up the mountains and skiing down.

The ski season starts this Saturday and the big snowfall is expected for Friday (it is Wednesday). Everyone is arriving now with skis into Queenstown. Lots of people trying to stay for the season and finding jobs, but apparently not a lot are left-the good ones were nabbed several weeks ago. So I guess I'll be departing right as the season starts. Thats okay though-I am loving travelling when I am in low season. No people anywhere. Not summer, not winter. Perfect. =)

Also indulging my soar spot with the love for the color green. Bought a set of jade earrings/necklace. At least my New Zealand souvenir doesn't take up a lot of space.




No comments:

Post a Comment