Friday, 5 June 2009

Fun on the bus

Sometimes I gleam at the good decisions that I make: getting on the Stray bus for 3 days in the bottom of the NZ south island was one of them. Amazing bus. If I can recommend anything for visitors in the future, I recomend this bus -- wonderful. Do not do Kiwi Experience or Magic Bus. This bus goes off the beaten track and well... does almost everything I would do if I was just driving myself.

Can't write much as I am on a shared computer on Stewart Island, the very very south of New Zealand. No cell service here, no ATMs, and only one pub full of fisherman. Glorious.

Spent a day going up to Milford Sound which was gorgeous. Middle of nowhere. Amazing fiords and scenery, but sadly, as it does for about 220 of the days of the year it was extremely cloudy and rainy. But still great--took a cruise along the fiord and into the ocean.

Then spent a night in essentially boy scout cabins at Gunn's camp close to the fiord. Lights out at 10pm. Heating by a stove. No civilization. Great. Drinks in a cozy cabin with awesome people till quite late.

An adventure. The only thing I am dreading is the one hour ferry back to mainland tomorrow. Today's ferry was insane-huge waves and a roller coaster. I think I left a piece of my soul on top of one of those jumps. Came out extremely green, but managed to hold my stomach in. Recommend taking Bonine before going on for all (I did and I was still green...)

So cheers! Will post pictures and more details later!

No comments:

Post a Comment