Sunday, 23 January 2011

Lake 22

I have hiked Lake 22 once before - it was much warmer then and more of a spring feeling. Today was much more on the winter side, though with the start of spring sending streams of water down the trail.

Pretty short hike (2.5 hours round trip) and only 1.5 hours drive from Seattle. Win win! Not very steep but hike is covered in streams and rocks which makes going along it rather difficult. The way down was slower than the way up because it was harder to look for where to step.

The lake itself was beautiful - the ice looks very 'glacial' and snowbanks all around. We didn't walk around the lake because the snow was pretty deep and we didn't bring the snowshoes so there was too much chance of falling into a hole. Great hike though.

1/23/2011 Lake 22

Photo comments: Hard to take photos of snow - it all meshes together. Lack of color palette. I also got a lesson in taking photos of waterfalls without a tripod. Unfortunately I only figured out how to do it properly toward the end and all the best ones were not taken by me. Next time I know what to do!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome...I love your lakes out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keen! I've done this in summer, too. Do you showshoe also? I hope in a month I can be back in the mountains on the ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poly - the hike is actually one off from the one we did. Pilchuck is right around the corner (and up) from this lake. =)

    Jenni - I have snowshoes - they just were not necessary for this hike. Hope it gets better fast! Want to get out to do more snowshoeing before season ends! =)

    ReplyDelete