Friday, 27 May 2011

Daring Bakers May 2011: MARQUISE ON MERINGUE

MARQUISE ON MERINGUE May Daring Bakers Challenge

The May 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Emma of CookCraftGrowand Jenny of Purple House Dirt. They chose to challenge everyone to make a Chocolate Marquise. The inspiration for this recipe comes from a dessert they prepared at a restaurant in Seattle.

The challenge for this month was super exciting for me because I have had the "real version" of the dessert at the mentioned restaurant. And loved it. Many times. It is the 'El Diablo' at Tango. It is a plate of decadence. Chocolate with a hint of spice and meringue, caramel and roasted almonds on the side. You can read about the recipe (and prettier versions than mine...) here.

This dessert is no easy muffin. It involves multiple days of work (well at least for me... you have to wait at least two hours in between making the chocolate blocks and I decided to just leave them in the freezer overnight). The following day I made the caramel and toasted almonds (Ryan did the almonds actually! He bakes!). Then I had everything ready and just had to whip up the meringue and put everything together when serving. Super easy.

Torching the meringue

I loved the result. So good and easy to put together in the end. I served it when I had a lot of people over so it was great to see everything (except one) of the 22 or so desserts get eaten. I live to fatten up my friends. :) The only problem was that I could not use paper plates and had 22 dirty dishes... There was no way I was using the blow torch on paper plates. :P

Will I be making this thing again? Most likely not. So much work! And I know where I can get one without working at all. Maybe for some super-special occasion. But there are so many things to cook!!

So since I got a blowtorch for this recipe (and have since been exploring it with crème brûlée, I need more recipes that use a blowtorch. Mmmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment