
On an absolutely beautiful day last weekend we took an adventure out to the Olympic peninsula. In the 1 3/4 of a year that I've lived here I haven't gone out the the peninsula (minus a ferry ride to one of the islands which doesn't count). This was a day trip so no crazy hikes or getting far into the park, but I'll be excited to return.
My original plan was to hike up Mt.Walker which had great reviews, flowers and views. Unfortunately I didn't realize that there was a road and that you can just drive up the mountain. I do not like hiking somewhere you can drive so we just drove up the mountain and decided to do some other hike. This is one of the views from the top of the mountain. It is odd for me to look out to Rainier and have water be in the foreground. Beautiful. We didn't get the see the wildflowers which I believe from the reviews are only on the trail. So maybe worth to do it? The road is apparently closed in winter - so it is not as lame then.
The back-up hike was Lena Lake. It is another 45 minutes away from the previous hike so it was very odd to start there around 2pm (we usually start hikes at.. 10/11am?). Good thing that the sun doesn't go down early now. Lena Lake was a great relaxing hike. I would love to camp out at the lake and look up at the stars. Plenty of spring runoff waterfalls too. The hike is very well maintained and I think there will be a lot of people there soon. As is-we got there as a lot of folks were leaving so it wasn't such a problem to share the hike. Those photos will come later to flickr as I have an insane amount to process still (tulips and hikes and hangouts oh my!)
No comments:
Post a Comment