
I made crème brûlée for the first time a week or so ago as soon as I got my blowtorch in the mail. So excited to burn things. It was delicious and super easy. I used this recipe and it turned out amazing. The only comment probably would be that I didn't put enough sugar on the top when broiling them so the crust did not get to break with the pop that I love so much. Oh well.
Just to clarify... this is not a picture of that cooking excursion. This is when I made it again this week and thought it would be so easy again. Well... not so much. I was making bagels along with making this so I turned out and mixed the egg yolks too long in the mixer. And then since the eggs took up more room since they had so much air in them they over-fillled my ramekins. So I got greedy and filled them up high... bad mistake. So I put them in a water bath into the oven. All fine until I check on them about twenty minutes later and they're overflowing like crazy.
Panic. Turn off oven. Take everything out. Laugh. Deal with the fact that even though there is not room to torch, they are still delicious. Just a ramekin of creamy goodiness. Thankfully it cooked enough that it was not just beat eggs and sugar. So this was not a bad failure?
So I love crème brûlée, but next time I make it I will be paying a LOT more attention.
For a real failure stay tuned for the full analysis of my bagel failure. It was epic.
No comments:
Post a Comment