Friday, 20 May 2011

Heather Lake: When going on a winter hike, bring sunglasses

5/14/2011 Heather Lake

On another beautiful day last Saturday, we trucked over to Heather Lake for a short hike. The hike is beautiful - not too steep but very adventurous. Lots of stream/waterfall crossings from the melting. Lots of scrambling over tree roots and boulders. In the latter part of the trail, there is significant amount of snow. No sight of the ground, but a clear trail (which I am convinced is not the actual trail... just somebody walking vaguely toward the lake). The snow is packed and very thick, but both of us fell through once or twice.

The lake itself is absolutely beautiful. Huge and with beautiful mountains towering over it. In the summer you can walk around the lake, but we could hear the avalanches on the other side - not so safe to walk over to the cliffs.

It was also incredibly sunny. Some of the hikers were sunbathing by the lake. I am not that intense but I had completely forgotten about the sun and didn't bring sunscreen and sunglasses. So the time at the lake was short. Snap some photos while squinting and eyes tearing up from the sun, and disappear back to the forest where we hide. I need to start adding sun-accessories to my hiking backpack. Easy to forget!

I would love to return to this hike. Not too long and a beautiful finish. In the summer people apparently jump into the lake. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment